Sunday 23 August 2015

Helpful Hints for the Hair styling novice



Today we have no images. I haven't styled my daughters hair today. She went off to Grandmas for a sleepover and so Grandma was in charge of hair!

I never look back at my child hood and think "wow, my mum was rubbish at putting my hair up". I genuinely thought she always made it look neat and pretty. But when I spoke to her today about it she explained how she thinks she is terrible at it. I can't believe it. Ot got me thinking, how many mums and grans and aunties think that they are terrible at styling their little girls hair? 

I wonder about holding a class in my area for mums and maybe also for Dads. Would a few little pointers help? 

I'm now in the process of working out some hair styling workshops in my area. But I wanted to give some helpful hints here too. 

1. Long clean hair is usually very slippery to work with so adding water and a mousse or a mist of gel spray may help while you work it out. It also helps prevent stray fly away hairs making your style look messy!

2. A simple style can look so much prettier when accessorised with a pretty bow. I like to buy mine from e bay or I buy lengths of ribbon in lots of colours and just tie the bow into the hair.

3. Have a go at a dutch braid instead of a french braid if you struggle. I find them much easier to make look neat and the effect is lovely.

A dutch braid is a 3 strand braid but instead of crossing the outside strands into the middle you cross the middle over the outside in turn.


4. A simple hairstyle can be adapted into something pretty with a little bit of added flair.
Try putting a low down pony tail into an ordinary plait and then twisting it into a bun and pinning in place with hair grips. Simple and easy but very pretty and perfect for dance classes. 

5. Don't be afraid of giving it a go. If your daughter doesn't like to sit for long, borrow a friend. They usually sit nicer and don't cry as much if you pull (by accident)...heehee!


No comments: